Baptism is an important step of obedience that demonstrates our acceptance of Christ's salvation. While He was on the earth, Jesus was baptized and commanded His disciples to both be baptized and to baptize others. So we follow both His command and His example. At FLC, we follow the example of baptism by submersion. This means that we are submerged under water to identify with the death and burial of Jesus. We are then raised out of the water to identify with His resurrection. We believe that water baptism is a public declaration of three important statements: (1) You are a follower of Jesus Christ, (2) Your past has been forgiven and erased, and (3) Your life has been made new.
1. WHY BE BAPTIZED?
Those who are baptized are following Jesus’ example and obeying His
● “As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, ‘This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well
pleased.’” —Matthew 3:16–17
● “Then Jesus came to them and said, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have
commanded you.’”—Matthew 28:18–20
2. WHAT IS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF BAPTISM?
Water baptism is a public declaration of three very important things:
● You are a follower of Jesus Christ.
● “Those who accepted his message were baptized.” —Acts 2:41
● You are beginning a changed life in Christ.
● “We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.” —Romans 6:4
● You are part of a new family.
● “So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with
Christ.” —Galatians 3:26–27
3. I HAVE ALREADY BEEN BAPTIZED. SHOULD I BE BAPTIZED AGAIN?
Your baptism should have signified you becoming a follower of Jesus, beginning a changed life, and uniting with a new family. If your baptism did not reflect this change of life, then you should be baptized again.
4. CAN MY CHILD BE BAPTIZED?
We will baptize anyone who understands what baptism symbolizes and wants to make that personal public declaration. We encourage any parents to partner with our Kids Life and Teen Life Student ministries to guide your children through these decisions of faith.
5. CAN MY INFANT BE BAPTIZED?
Throughout the New Testament, the Bible teaches that baptism is a public expression of worship symbolizing the new life we have when we follow Jesus. In the Bible we see that Jesus’ parents dedicated him to the Lord (Luke 2:22–40), and he was later baptized as an adult (Matthew 3:16–17).
We understand that some churches practice “baptism of confirmation” for children. This ceremony is intended to be a commitment between the parents and God on the behalf of the child. The parents promise to raise their child in the faith until the child is old enough to make his or her own personal confession of Christ. This custom began about 300 years after the Bible was completed and is different from the biblical examples of new believers being baptized to publicly profess their faith in Jesus.
So at Family Life church we provide opportunities for child dedication instead.
ATTEND 101 OF
THE GROWTH TRACK
After you have accepted Christ, baptism is your next step. you can learn more about what it
means to follow Christ and have the opportunity to be water baptized by attending our Growth Track 101 Session. These sessions take place every first Sunday of the month.
Ready to be baptized? click the link below to let us know.
We are excited to celebrate this decision with you!
EVERYTHING YOU NEED
Our team is prepared
with everything you
need including a towel, baptism t-shirt that's yours to keep and plenty of encouragement. We are excited for you to take this next step!
INVITE YOUR FAMILY AND
FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU
Water baptism is a time
of celebration and public
declaration of new life in
Christ. Invite your
friends and family with
you to our Baptism
Service. We currently have Baptism Services
every 2 months.